Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Voices In My Head

That inner voice. Different people call it different things: intuition, God, your gut, psychic ability, the Shining. However you attribute its origin, we all have it to one degree or another. I believe that learning to recognize that universal gift in yourself, and then learning to trust it, are two of the most important lessons to learn in life. I, unfortunately, have learned these lessons the hard way.

I won't go into the gory details on such a public forum, but I recently bore the consequences of dismissing a strong gut feeling. I had an intuitive knowledge that I should not enter into a specific contract. Why did I do it? I let desperation, emotion, and a trusting nature override what I now know was an unmistakable directive from a higher power, a sixth sense, to walk away. The misery I've endured as a result is beyond anything I could have imagined, but I am getting out of this situation, and I am accomplishing that by trusting my gut.

Why do we ever dismiss intuition?

We dismiss it because intuition isn't logical. It isn't rational. When you stack the facts, inclusion of a gut feeling as a factor isn't possible, and often not defensible as a reason for taking a particular position. And yet, there is very little risk in trusting your gut. Even if a situation doesn't work out the way you expect, you can usually look back with the satisfaction of knowing you did what was right and good for yourself.

So, I now have the proof I need to confidently to go forward trusting my intuition, God, my gut, my psychic ability and the Shine. If I ever tell you to avoid a particular room in big, old remote hotel in the dead of winter, don't question it. Just switch your reservation to the Holiday Inn Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment