Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Crazy Cat Lady

There was a time when I cast a slightly judgmental eye on those who spent thousands of dollars on their pets. Pets aren't people. They aren't really our children. They keep us company for the time they are here, then we get another one. Now, I'm one of those people.

I spent the better part of an hour this morning caring for my sick cat, Sam. A pill, 2 syringes full of antibiotics, steroids, then forcing a slurry of pureed chicken down him. The poor beast is covered in pink and brown goo. The tab keeps running at the vet...$1,400ish so far. Why am I doing this??

I'll tell you why. Because that sweet fur ball kept me sane during one of the worst moments of my life. Through the process of separation and divorce, Sam was a constant reminder that there really is unconditional love in the world and that I am not alone. There was a period of time when the only happiness I felt was while he snoozed contentedly in my lap. He just loved me completely, without judgment, and expected nothing in return.

So, sweet Sam deserves to have me make a few sacrifices to get him through this. Yes, I will likely be eating macaroni and cheese from a box for the next 3 months, but that's ok. I kinda like mac and cheese out of a box.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on this Debbie. My cat Cali is seeing my through a broken heart right this minute. My cats are my babies.

    ReplyDelete