Thursday, May 7, 2009

Makeup

I like being a girl because I get to wear makeup. That's not the only reason, but a big one. Makeup is designed to pump up the positive and minimize the negative. I told a coworker once how lovely she looked and her response was, "Oh, yeah, I'm sick. If you ever see me made up like this, it's because I'm trying to look healthy." Makeup is a literal mask we can put on for the world, hiding reality.

In reality, my skin tone is uneven. Allergies cause chronic darkness under my eyes. My eyelashes are light colored and kind of disappear into my face. Easy enough to fix with foundation, concealer and mascara. Those same items can also hide how much crying I did the day before, how much drinking, how little sleep. Top it off with some lipstick and a smile, and the world never has to know. I do like being a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment