Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Happiness Is...

Happiness is... a warm puppy. That's what Charles Schultz said. I'm not a dog person, so that warm puppy thing doesn't necessarily do it for me, but I get his point. True happiness is found in simplicity. Simple pleasures. This is the kind of happiness characterized by contentment, calm, security and freedom.

My life has been so complicated lately, well, for several years now, that any moment of happiness shines like a little piece of glitter catching light. A little piece of glitter on a vast, dark, dirty veil, the edges of which are impossible to distinguish at this point. I take note of each little sparkle because they are so few, and I think about other sparkles I can seek. Here are a few of the things that make me feel that kind of happiness:

Happiness is...a warm cat snoozing in my lap.
Happiness is...a cup of Community Coffee.
Happiness is...eating fruit right off the vine, still warm from the sun.
Happiness is...my nephew's smile.
Happiness is...my grandmother's biscuits.
Happiness is...a salty sea breeze.
Happiness is...napping under a ceiling fan on a hot day.
Happiness is...the smell of crawfish boiling.

There are more. Sometimes I don't know what they are until I experience them again. So often they are things that transport me back to childhood, or at least the feeling of childhood. The contentment, calm, security and freedom of childhood. That Charles Schultz was a smart guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment